Since Demi hasn’t really been into solid foods we haven’t had a dinner where all of us were eating at the same time. She’s usually on my lap lunging, grunting and reaching for every bite that bypasses her on its way to me.
But she’s starting to get into it and her gag reflex is getting better, so last night I set Demi up with some avocado while Cam and I had burritos with avocado.
It was more like dinner and a show. Highly entertaining.
Little woman is just knocking down firsts left and right.
She’s sitting! Although still needs practice. Sometimes she does a slow fall onto her face and it’s rather funny because apparently the instinct to put a hand out to catch yourself is learned, not an involuntary reflex.
She also tried a couple different solids! Buuuut still needs practice there too. She is somewhat interested and continues to put the strainer/lolli-looking thing back into her mouth, but when any amount of food really gets through, she gags and makes faces.
First was avocado, then we tried carrots. Neither received an enthusiastic ‘yes,’ but I think she is just struggling with the mechanics. Bless her cute little heart.
We’ll keep trying though. Lord knows Olanoffs are eaters.
My little love is 5 months old. The 4-month zone was a lot of fun–she began holding her body a little better so we could have more fun playing, rolling around, lifting her up, taking her places, and she started showing more of her personality. She is still mellow, but now she has a fiery “I know what I want” streak. She’ll go from 20 minutes of self-sufficiency, exploring a soft, crinkly book to squealing like I’ve never heard before.
- According to her 4-month check-up, she is still 95+ %ile in all categories–weight, length, head circumference. [Insert high five to mama’s milk]
- She started giggling, though not with regularity. When you do something that makes her start giggling, it’s natural to think, okay, I’ll do that some more and get more giggles. Well, not so much. She’ll give a little giggle and then look at you like, “what else you got?”
- She started rolling over
- She started sleeping in her crib (at least until the first wake-up of the night)
- She went on a swing!
Other fun things:
- She can hold her own bottle. This is no surprise because she loves eating and she’s always had an iron grip.
- She’s a side sleeper. I noticed this very early on when I was trying to lazy feed her at night and especially on her restless nights. If I tipped her onto her side, she would sleep more soundly. Now that she has the strength to lay how she wants, she rolls to her side to sleep.
- We think she knows who is who. When I say “what’s brother doing?” she’ll look around the room and fix her eyes on him. When my mom asked her “where is Larson?” (their dog), she’ll look down at the ground and around the room until she sees him.
- She went to the zoo for the second time
- She’s aggressively reaching for and begging for our food, but her gagging tells us she’s not ready. We tried the teeniest bite of avocado and it was not pretty.
- We can finally hold her toward our chests in between feedings without her burrowing and getting angry like it’s mealtime.
On a final note of cuteness, here’s a video of her now-famous squeals, the most epic tired-eye rub of all time (she got it from her Poppy), and a sneeze.
Excited to see what 6 months will bring!
Look at this sweet, smooshable, super proud baby! This is what a baby girl looks like when she rolls over for the very first time! Actually, this would technically be the second.
We had just gotten back to the house from our friend’s pool. I laid Demi on the floor on her back, left the room to grab water and when I came back she was on her tummy! Shocked, I spent the next few minutes trying to replicate it on camera. Lucky for me, she did it again! And I lost my noodle!
- It took Cam a LOT longer to roll over, so this little milestone just snuck up on me. I didn’t realize it was so close!
- I think rolling from back to tummy is the harder way to roll. Since this happened on Saturday, we’ve seen her roll the other way too. She’s an ambi-roller!
I’m noticing she is a very motivated little girl. When we lay her down, but she wants to sit, she does mini-crunches trying to sit up (I’m convinced there is a very strong core underneath that pudge). When she’s on my lap and I’m eating, she reaches and grabs and leans to try to get the food. And she often doesn’t get frustrated, she just keeps trying.
A couple more milestones are upon us too: first foods (starting as soon as I have time to purchase said first foods), and 5 months! Oh boy!
This photo just keeps making me laugh. Her look communicates so many different things. Feel free to suggest other captions 😀
I finally captured some giggles! Yay!! I just had to do a whole performance–dancing, flailing and generally just looking like a goon. Totally worth it.
No turning back now, Demi Grey, giggles every day!
That embarrassing moment when you realize that someone you thought was your friend has stolen your look.
The question remains… who wore it best?
We’ve reached a new milestone in baby Demi’s life. She can officially get her foot in her mouth! Congrats little girl, this is a very useful skill and it will open many doors!
Seriously though, look at her iron grip… both hands and every ounce of concentration and strength to get those chubby little toes into her mouth. Good form little lady! Mama is proud.
File under: the family bed
Do you suppose Cam and Demi are dreaming about the same dance party? And if so, are they busting the same move?